The decision to sell your business can be very difficult and emotive, particularly where the sale may be the culmination of a lifetime’s work.
Having spent years building a business, realising its optimal value on exit is vitally important. It can, however, be difficult to know where to start.
When selling a business, a number of factors must be considered including, preparation of the business for sale, the business’ value, finding a prospective buyer, negotiating a fair price and assessing the tax consequences of the sale.
With so many factors affecting the success of your sale, it is important to get the right advice. Our corporate advisory team is made up of specialists with expertise in the fields of corporate advisory and tax.
Our integrated approach allows us to provide complete end-to-end transaction support during the entire sale process. From advising you in relation to changes which will improve your business and increase its value through to completion of the transaction, our team will be there to advise you at every stage.
The sale of a business typically involves the following key steps:
- Establishing the owners’ objectives
- Restructuring the business & reviewing its operations to optimise the sale value or assist in the sale process
- Assessing the value of the business & establishing a price range
- Preparation of an information memorandum
- Identification & evaluation of potential buyers
- Approaching potential buyers
- Exchange of confidentiality agreements
- Assisting potential buyers with their initial review of business
- Creating a competitive bidding environment & receiving offers
- Negotiating a heads of agreement & other agreements
- Managing due diligence enquiries
- Finalising sale negotiations
- Completing sale